The Price Of Happiness

Tonight the storm is giving this town a well-deserved beating. There you are. Here I am. Not together, not apart. We’re hiding in the dark and there is no going back. Lights out, empty black everywhere. Rain pouring like tears on drums, flooding the pavement, feeding this river inside, memories leaving down the stream.

Heavy weather outside, safe and sound within these walls. If it only wasn’t for the sound of my heart you left on the ground. Honestly, when I come to think about it, there is no better place to be.

When the world changed colours, your green love faded away, brought the ocean blue hurt, called the grey pain to stay. Eclipsed the past, were we really meant to last?

Little girl, are you still looking the other way? / Would it be that strange if I still missed you? / Would it be that hard to imagine if I still cared for what’s lost? / But would you bother to care at all?

Little girl, are you happy now? / What have you won? / What have you lost in return? / Was it all worth it? / Will it last?

The price of happiness is the dreams you killed and the lies you sold.

The price of happiness is the ones you betrayed, including yourself.

And please believe me when I say that not even this rain can wash these words away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Down House

Dirty Boots

Late, Later On